CHICAGO HEIGHTS, Ill. (WLS) --
A Good Samaritan pulled three people from a burning home in south
suburban Chicago Heights Wednesday morning. Officials aren't providing
details, but family members said the three were badly burned.
Charles Gluckleder, a maintenance worker at a nearby church, was on his
way to work when he saw smoke at the home in the 300 block of West 16th
"One guy, I dragged him to the top of the stairs. He's a lot bigger than
me. No way I could get him up. So when I pulled him to the top of the
stairs, I tried getting him over, and we both tumbled over the stairs,"
Charles Gluckleder said.
The victims were identified as Tyree Miller, 88; his companion, Chong
Lee Barnes, 65; and his son, Tyree Miller Junior, 65, according to
Miller's daughter, Marsha.
"That spot right there, right where they're at. You see how badly it's
burned? That's their bedroom," Marsha Miller said.
Flames were shooting out of the roof when Chicago fire crews arrived
around 9 a.m.
"Somebody said he got, the firemen, they saw the firemen pulling him
down the stairs and he was burned pretty bad," Renee Etheridge,
Miller and Tyree Jr. were taken to Loyola Hospital with burns, she said.
Drapery too close to a space heater may have caught fire, she said. The
century-old mansion was once a hospital.
"It's tragic. It's a tragedy. It's a beautiful house, but now it's all
messed up," Kurtys Miller, son, said.